Creating and Editing Layers
Note: you can’t add features to uploaded layers unless you import uploaded layers to the database first.
Creating a new layer
In addition to uploading data layers, you can also create new layers by following the steps listed below:
- Select the Layer Tab.
- Select Create Layer from the Add layer dropdown menu.
Choose or enter the data (attributes) that the layer will have:
- Table name – Enter the name of your new data layer.
- Geometry type – Select point, line, multiline, polygon or multipolygon as your feature type.
- Projection – Select a new projection or select an existing one being used in the active map.
- Overwrite if exists – You have the option to overwrite an existing data layer if it bears the same name as your new data layer.
- Copy Structure Form – You may define the structure of your data layers table by copying the attribute table from another existing layer. This operation does not define point, line or polygon geometry.
- Attributes – Enter the desired field names for your new data layer and define the field type:
- String – Input any text
- Real – Input numbers containing a decimal point
- Integer – Input whole numbers
A layer can be edited through Layer Properties. There are several ways to access Layer Properties:
- Double click on the layer in the Layer List.
- Select a layer and Edit Layer tool from the Layer tab.
- Select Edit Layer function from the dropdown menu.
It is possible to visually edit a layer through Layer Properties and Appearance.
- Double click on a layer to open Layer Properties.
- Click on the colored square.
- Style – set visual settings: colors, symbology, line width, hatch patterns.
- Labels – set persistent labels.
- Levels – set from which to which zoom level layer will be visible.
Here you can find more information about visual layer editing.
Features in the layer can be edited by following these steps:
- Select a layer on the Layer List.
- Select the Edit feature from the ribbon (on the Feature tab).
- Select the feature which geometry you wish to edit and move the point to the desired location.
- Choose Save to save a new point location or Cancel to undo editing.
It is also possible to edit feature geometry through the Info Panel:
- Select a feature.
- Choose Edit Geometry from Info Panel.
- Change a location of the feature.
- Click Save button.
It is possible to edit attribute data through Data Grid, Info Panel and Info Window.
- Select a layer from the Layer List.
- Toogle Data Grid from the bottom of the page.
- Select feature you wish to edit in Data Grid
- Select Edit.
- After editing click Save.
- Select a feature from the map.
- Select Edit attributes from Info Panel.
- Select Save after editing.
Note: you can activate Info window to display attributes under the Layer Properties, Attributes tab.
- Select a feature from the map.
- Select Edit button from the Info window.
- Click Save after editing.
Update Layer Source
After editing layer in external GIS software and uploading layer in the GIS Cloud it is necessary to update layer source in GIS Cloud map so changes are visible. Also, if you like to change a name of the folder within File Manager it is necessary to update layer’s source, otherwise, the layer will not be visible on a map.
To update or change layer source:
- Browse new layer and click Select and Save.
Now we have to recache a layer.
- Open Layer Properties of updated layer.
- Open Display tab.
- Click Clear layer tiles button.
- Click Save.